Re: OWL (or RDFS) and RDF and language tags

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:03:30 +0000
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Oh, another possibility is to use some derivation of xsd:string +
> pattern facets to constrain oneself to ones ending with, e.g., @en.
> Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't think any current reason supports
> pattern facets, though I imagine that will change soon:
>     http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pTmcCXR-dV6RpTEPxB0O-DQ
> You would still have to convert to/fro normal langed literals, so that's
> a bit unfortunate.
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

No won't work.
An xsd:string has no language tag.

A range being rdfs:Literal without any of the typed literals (including
xsd:string) is what you want.

There may be some way of specifying this, but it won't work in any tool
whatsoever, let alone interoperably. (Well - it will fail to work
interoperably :) ).

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="naturalLanguageDescription">
          <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
             <rdfs:Class rdf:resource="&rdfs;Literal" />
               <owl:complementOf rdf:resource="&xsd;string" />

(which permits dates and integers etc in the range)