Re: annotate an axiom in OWL

(cross posting trimmed)

On Feb 6, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Chris Mungall wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>

>> This can't be done within OWL 1.0. It is a design goal of OWL 1.1
>> to support this.
>
> This makes it sound like the support is something that will be
> offered in the future.
> I think things have progressed a little further than this simply
> being a design goal?

Yes.

> As far as I understand OWL1.1 does support this in the form of
> Axiom Annotation
>
> http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/owl_specification.html#A
>
> I just did a quick experiment with the OWLAPI and it seems I can
> write out OWLXML:
[snip]

The OWL API does indeed support axiom annotations across all
syntaxes, thus so does Protege4 and Pellet. I will be revising the
annotation spaces proposal over the next couple of weeks for
discussion by the working group.

SPARQL/OWL (when I get round to *that* spec...sigh) will have clear
support for grabbing annotations of all sorts. Obviously, you can
easily use xpath et al to grab annotations from the XML syntax.

Feedback on annotations is most welcome. They are critical to so many
applications!

Cheers,
Bijan.