Re: post-structuralistm and (formal) ontologies

Kendall Clark wrote:

> Thus, while I think Jeremy's line of inquiry is interesting enough to
> pursue, and I did actually do some work on it back in 2000, it's not
> something that computer scientists, qua computer scientists, are
> especially well prepared to work on. It's a question of the politics of
> technology or social informatics more broadly construed, and should be
> approached w/ the tools, methods, and background knowledge of the
> practitioners of *those* disciplines.
>
>>  > Any pointers appreciated.
>>  >
>>  > Jeremy

Thanks to both Kendall and Dan for the links ....

One thing that is different with computer science ontologies, and
perhaps Web ontologies is simply that they are typically more rigorously
defined.

Thus, a hypothesis such as "excessive use of owl:complentOf may indicate
some specific social phenonemenon" can be investigated somewhat more
cleanly than when dealing with classifications defined only with natural
langauge text.

Jeremy