Re: Literals in OWL - Clarification

On 18 Jan 2008, at 08:05, Matt Williams wrote:

> Dear Bijan,
>
> Thanks for these - I should have been more exact: I am looking for
> a definition of an OWL literal. Something of the form:
>
> "An atom is of the form C(i) or R(i,j) or S(i,d); A literal is an
> atom or a negated atom"
>
> I'm sure it exists - I just can't find it.

Oh. Sorry. Certainly not in the OWL specs and it wouldn't show up in
tableau oriented papers. The right place to look is in the papers on
resolution and description logics, e.g.,
	http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/boris.motik/publications/
km06shoiq.pdf

If you need a canonical citation of a definition (I think the above
paper sorta presumes basic stuff), you might look at some of Renate
Schmit's papers or KAON2 papers or HermiT or the like. Keywords that
might help are "structural transformation" or "translation to FOL".

I would say that a reasoanble way to define literals for DLs is to
look at the first order translation (don't forget (in)equality).

Cheers,
Bijan.