Re: Xtreme Punning

At 10:56 AM +0000 1/11/08, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>off-list wrote:
>>could you please point me to examples of use of punning in real applications.
>>

>There are three examples that fall under the two kinds that Michael
>identified:

>A) classes as instances
>=======================
>A class in one view of an ontology may be an individual in another.
>e.g.
>the class of Ford Motor Vehicle Models, may include the individual
>Ford Cortina;
>the class of Ford Cortina may include a particular car that I once
>owned (actually an untrue statement!).
>
>It can be argued that this is a modelling error. However, if so, it
>is a popular one.

>B) RDF legacy
>=============
>dc:creator is used as both, and its definition seems to expect it to
>be used as both. There are perhaps some other properties from the
>RDF world that are important and behave similarly. (e.g. rdf:_1,
>rdf:_2)
>
>Technically, but of no great interest really, RDF legacy also
>includes some 'punning' between individuals and classes, because RDF
>includes metamodelling such as:
>  owl:inverseOf rdf:type rdf:Property.
>

>C) lists
>========
>Evren provided the example of rdf:first (or eg:first in a shadow
>vocabulary), in a list. In a list of literals, rdf:first acts as a
>data property, in a list of things, rdf:first acts as an object
>property.

Also D) datatypes.
A datatype name in RDF is used as a class (containing all the legal
values for that datatype) and as a property (relating a legal string
to its corresponding value) and as an individual (member of the class
rdfs:Datatype). This style of usage has been generalized in some
applications of CL (in the IKRIS project) to arbitrary contexts, so
that names can denote differently in different contexts. It seems to
work smoothly without any problems.

Pat

>Bijan motivates some of the design decisions in OWL 1.1 as trying to
>accomodate more RDF, so that arguments B and C have merit. Also,
>because of the popularity of the modelling technique of classes as
>instances, A has merit.
>[[Bijan, have I correctly understood your position?]]
>
>Jeremy

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell