help with dated entailments ... (for POWDER)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:03:20 +0000
To: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

(originally sent to OWL WG; where Bijan replied, and I will follow up to
his message here)

-----------
In my analysis of what is going in POWDER I have now written

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/POWDER

I have a question.

POWDER includes two properties wdr:validFrom and wdr:validUntil.

Inbetween these dates then an example like:

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/POWDER#Example

should 'entail'

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/POWDER#The_subclass_relationship

===

Outside these dates the 'entailment' is not known to hold.

========

Clearly a full formal treatment of time is well outside the scope of
what will be included in the POWDER specification.

So how do I hack it?

Or perhaps more positively, how do I express pragmatically the
relationships.

I have to define a semantic extension to RDF, so I have quite a lot of
wiggle room, but need to use it cautiously.

=======
I'll try writing a straw man and adding it to the page.

Might take an hour or two.

=====

Note for the DL people - I need to also articulate how my approach
relates to OWL DL.

Jeremy