Re: Xtreme Punning

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:18:31 +0000
To: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
CC: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

Michael Schneider wrote:
> Here's a little OWL I wrote,
> Your reasoner will check it node for node.
> Don't worry, it will be happy!
>
>     ex:foo rdf:type ex:foo .
>     ex:foo ex:foo ex:foo .
>     ex:foo ex:foo "ex:foo"^^ex:foo .

Fun example ... (I agree with Bijan on the technicalities)

> When thinking about punning in OWL-1.1-DL, I always differentiated between
> two "kinds" of punning:
>
>     * punning between individuals and classes,
>
>     * punning between data properties and object properties.
>

> If my conjecture is correct, then it probably wouldn't make too much sense
> to discuss whether a single "punning kind" like data/object property punning
> should be dropped from the OWL-1.1-DL draft or not (the OWL-WG had such a
> discussion this week), since it is then only one combination of many
> possible:

I see these particular cases as simply ways of focussing the discussion.

If we can find a single pair of uses for which punning is clearly
negative (e.g. will create too much unfortunate user surprise), then we
need to rethink the approach to vocabulary separation, at least a little.

Jeremy