Jena reasoner (was Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] Re: Cardinality Restrictions and Punning)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:35:04 +0000
To: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
CC: Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com>, Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>, Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

Apologies for a minor aside
(I feel an obligation to correct a possible misunderstanding of Jena
documentation)

Michael Schneider wrote:

> I recently found that the Jena-OWL reasoner is actually a restricted
> OWL-Full reasoner, since it is an extension of the Jena-RDFS reasoner:
>
>   <http://jena.sourceforge.net/inference/index.html#OWLcoverage>
>
>   "Since RDFS is not a subset of the OWL/Lite or OWL/DL languages
>   the Jena implementation is an incomplete implementation of OWL/full."
>
> Drawback: It doesn't fully support every OWL feature. But this has not to do
> with being an OWL-Full reasoner, but instead, AFAIK, has to do with the
> specific rule based approach the family of Jena reasoners apply.

I think I would phrase the last sentence as
[[
While it is inevitable that an OWL-Full reasoner cannot generate every
OWL Full entailment and non-entailment, the family of Jena reasoners are
also limited by the choice to use a rule based approach.
]]

i.e. there are theoretical limitations, and the Jena reasoner is further
limited by practical considerations due to some fundamental design
choices (which I think were quite sensible and defensible, but don't
particularly wish to do so now)

I suppose it depends what you mean by a 'feature' of OWL.

Jeremy