RE: [OWLWG-COMMENT] Re: Cardinality Restrictions and Punning

>>  On 11/2/07 3:23 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:
>>>  Hi, Evren!

>Is this a certain fact? I remember to have heard this claim a few times
>before now, but don't remember to have ever heard about evidence for it.
>Since there is no 1.1-Full draft at the moment, is there some proof that
>this would be true for 1.0-DL+Punning in comparison to 1.0-Full?

Yes, because in the Full semantics, :sameAs
entails :equivalentClass, but not in the punning
semantics. It is easy to construct many examples
based on this which illustrate the disconnect
between punning and the RDF/hilog style semantics.

One way to minimize (although not completely
eliminate) these issues would be to redefine what
'sameAs' means in 1.1.  1.0:sameAs really does
mean equality. In 1.1, however, it no longer
means that, as it is restricted to individuals.
If this were altered so that 1.1:sameAs means
equality for all the name categories, i.e. if it
was the conjunction of DL-sameAs, equivalentClass
and equivalentProperty, then most entailments
would carry over from the 1.0 case to the 1.1
case. This would require introducing a new 'weak'
identity for individuals, call this sameThingAs
(just for now), then sameAs means the same thing
in 1.0-Full and 1.1-Full, and 1.0-DL:sameAs means
the same as 1.1-DL:sameThingAs; but since
1.1:sameAs when restricted to individuals means
1.1:sameThingAs, and since 1.0 only allows sameAs
to be used between individuals, all 1.0 DL
ontologies should retain their meanings in 1.1-DL
also. The only case that would need care when
moving from 1.0 to 1.1 is taking an existing
1.0-DL ontology and extending it using punning to
be 1.1-DL legal but not 1.0-DL-legal. In this
case, the 1.0-sameAs statements need to be
restricted (I presume: Im not an expert on the
logistics of punning) to the individual case,
which in this suggested scenario would require
changing the ontology by replacing sameAs by
sameThingAs. This might be considered a
dealbreaker, but I think the idea is worth
careful consideration, as it is semantically more
correct and makes the overall DL/Full
relationship in 1.1 much less confusing. (And how
many published OWL ontologies actually use sameAs
in ways that are remotely likely to be confused
by subsequent punning extensions?)

Anyway, though I would put this on the table for discussion.

Pat

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell