Re: [Announcement] OWL API 2.2.0 Available

From: Kendall Grant Clark <kendall@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:38:28 -0400
Cc: Matthew Horridge <matthew.horridge@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-owl-dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

Excerpts from Sandro Hawke's message of Fri Apr 18 10:15:28 -0400 2008:
> Just to be clear: OWL 2 is a work-in-progress and will keep changing for
> some months to come.  People not following closely might not notice
> that.  In a few months it should settle down, go through a few more
> review rounds, and finally be done.
>
> It's great to have implementors following closely (thanks, Matthew!) but
> let's be careful not to accidentally mislead users who aren't interested
> in the details of the standards process.

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it
means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so
many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master— that's all".

> (On a completely unrelated note, I wish there was some way I could
> convince you folks to change the name from "the OWL API" to something
> like "the Java OWL Toolkit".  Calling it an API when it is not an API
> may be some kind of ontologists in-joke (like [1]?), but it's quite
> lost on me.)

"My name is Alice, but — "

"It's a stupid name enough!" Humpty Dumpty interrupted
impatiently. "What does it mean?"

"Must a name mean something?" Alice asked doubtfully.

"Of course it must," Humpty Dumpty said with a short laugh: "my name
means the shape I am — and a good handsome shape it is, too. With a
name like your, you might be any shape, almost."

Kendall