Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] ISSUE-55 (owl:class)

>Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
>>So another example of forcing the domain to be finite without mentioning
>>owl:Thing would be
>>
>>	C = { a }
>>	C- = { b }
>>

>I think the observation that this is satisfiable in OWL DL and not
>in OWL Full is more about the finiteness issue than the owl:Class v
>rdfs:Class issue.

I agree. This would be unsatisfiable in DL also if DL admitted that
literal values were real individuals. The individual/datatype
distinction in DL was put there because it makes the reasoning more
tractable, but it also has silly semantic consequences, like the
above. It is ridiculous for a Web ontology language to allow one
ontology to assert that nothing else on the Web exists.

Pat

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell