Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] Example why current RDF mapping for QCRs might hurt OWL-1.1-Full [Re: PROPOSAL to close ISSUE-68]

I have no objection to the solution that was used in OWL 1.0 for
this.  So far, if a feature adds problems to DL, we apparently throw
it out immediately, but if it causes problems to full, we try to find
a work around without worrying too much if it cases problems or
confusion - I just fine this asymmetry to be troubling.  So I propose
we don't include QCRs, since the solution proposed is one that was
already considered and rejected in OWL 1.0 - what has changed?
  -JH

On Dec 16, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:

> [ public comment to discussion in OWL-WG;
> also posted to involved WG members ]
>
> Jim Hendler wrote on Thu, 13 Dec 2007
> in <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Dec/
> 0176.html>
> within thread "Re: PROPOSAL to close ISSUE-68"
>
>> I  would not be happy with  this solution - it creates yet more,
>> seemingly unecessary terms, and it also was, in DAML days, the single
>> feature name that confused the most people - I thought we were
>> proposing a clean solution that didn't require creating a new
>> syntactic feature, this is quite different - so I oppose closing this
>> issue with Peter's suggested solution.
>>   -JH
>>
>> On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>

>>> ISSUE-68 has to do with a nonmonotonicity in the mapping rules for
>>> qualified cardinality restrictions.  As pointed out in several
>>> places
>>> this can be alleviated by using the DAML+OIL solution of having a
>>> different property for qualified cardinalities.
>>>
>>> I thus propose using
>>>
>>> owl:minCardinalityQ
>>> owl:maxCardinalityQ
> [...]
>        = CEXT(_:y) =
>        { x : card({y: x hasBodyPart y AND y rdf:type Ear}) = 2 }
>
> where '_:y' denotes the cardinality restriction used in (A2), after
> being
> translated into an RDF graph. Note that '_:y' is a different bNode
> from
> '_:x', so it /may/ denote a different restriction class.
>
> But looking closer to (E3) and (E4) reveals, that the respective
> left hand
> sides of these equations are the /same/ in both cases. So we learn:
>
>   (E5) CEXT(_:x) = CEXT(_:y)
>
> Now, looking again into sec. 5.2 of [1], table "Characteristics of OWL
> vocabulary related to equivalence", first entry, we see that the
> following
> semantic condition holds (please mind the "iff" in the right table
> header!):
>
>   (S-EQUIV)
>     IF
>       CEXT(x) = CEXT(y), for classes ("IOC") x and y
>     THEN
>       x owl:equivalentClass y
>      ("<x,y> IN EXT_I(S_I(E))" with E := "owl:equivalentClass")
>
> Thus, from (E5) and (S-EQUIV) we obtain:
>
>   (E6) _:x owl:equivalentClass _:y .
>
> And this means that the two QCRs from axioms (A1) and (A2) are
> actually
> equivalent classes. Or in English:
>
>   "Everything which has exactly two ears
>   also has exactly two legs, and vice versa."
>
> So axiom (A2) is semantically OWL-1.1-Full equivalent to (in
> Functional
> Syntax for easy read, but assume it were given in RDF instead):
>
>   (A2') SubClassOf(Dog ObjectExactCardinality(2 hasBodyPart Leg))
>
> The QCR in (A2') is obviously disjoint from the QCR in (A3), so
> class Dog,
> being a subclass of both QCRs, turns out to be empty:
>
>   (E7) <Dog> rdfs:subClassOf owl:Nothing .
>
> And by stating through (A4) that Pluto is a Dog, we see that our
> ontology is
> inconsistent in OWL-1.1-Full:
>
>   (E8) <Pluto> rdf:type owl:Nothing .
>

> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> [1] OWL S&AS - §5: RDF-Compatible Model-Theoretic Semantics
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/rdfs.html
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik Karlsruhe
> Abtl. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de
> Web  : http://www.fzi.de/ipe/eng/mitarbeiter.php?id=555
>
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
> Vorstand: Rüdiger Dillmann, Michael Flor, Jivka Ovtcharova, Rudi
> Studer
> Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums: Ministerialdirigent Günther Leßnerkraus

it?." - Albert Einstein