Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] ISSUE-67 (reification): real semantic-free RDF-comments

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:15:57 +0000
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
CC: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>, Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>, Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, bmotik@cs.man.ac.uk

Pat Hayes wrote:

> Hmm. But it also means that any RDF graph *entails* the same graph with
> an arbitrary number of these triples added. So all graphs entail
> themselves with random "comments" attached in random "places". This does
> not seem like what one would want a reasoning engine to do, so how does
> one give a semantic justification for not allowing it?

If annotations are meaningless (as some people claim) then adding
annotations does not change the meaning, and a reasoning engine that
adds an annotation e.g.

eg:eg
   rdfs:comment "The reasoning engine loaded this at 6.34 pm" .

then so be it.

It is at least arguable - if people really want that, then I would like
that to be clear.

Jeremy