RE: Inferring Properties based on Types

From: John McClure <jmcclure@hypergrove.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:01:26 -0700
To: "Owl Dev" <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

>>> (?x :hasSibling ?y)
>>> :Male(?y)
>>> =>
>>> (?x :hasBrother ?y)
>It isn't possible in either OWL or OWL 1.1.

What? I must not understand WHY this is being said, because I'm now hearing that
this simple requirement is somehow ambiguous enough that a special, exceedingly
complicated set of axioms is required using OWL 1.1 keywords! Can someone
explain the problems in more layman terms? With RDF/XML as below, a reasoner
should identify Paul as brother of John -- if it can't, without all the
rigamorol outlined in recent posts (manman?), then SOMETHING seems terribly
wrong here.  If you know a link that provides layman explanation(s) that would
be great too. Thanks.

<owl:Class rdf:ID="HumanBeing"/>
<owl:Class rdf:ID="HumanMale">
   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource='#HumanBeing'/>
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID='sibling'>
  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource='#HumanBeing'/>
  <rdfs:range rdf:resource='#HumanBeing'/>
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID='brother'>
  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource='#HumanBeing'/>
  <rdfs:range rdf:resource='#HumanMale'/>
  <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource='#sibling'/>

<HumanBeing rdf:ID='John'/>
      <HumanMale rdf:ID='Paul'/>