Re: [TF:DbE] The easiest keys there are

From: Matthew Pocock <matthew.pocock@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:37:52 +0100
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>, Robert Stevens <robert.stevens@manchester.ac.uk>

On Friday 28 September 2007, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The OWLED task force on DatabasEsque features:
> 	http://code.google.com/p/owl1-1/wiki/DatabasEsque
>
> Well, at least Uli and me, have been doing a bit of work on keys
> (aka, inverseFunctional datatype properties) prompted by a visit to
> Manchester by Matthew Pocock. Some sort of keys is a pretty high
> value feature. However, if you check out this poster:
> 	http://webont.org/owled/taskforces/dbe/keys_poster.pdf

Thanks for opening this up Bijan. Here in bioinformatics land, we are drowning
under entities that have been given IDs - bar codes, LSIDs, db/accession,
database-table/primary-key and so on. I think what is being proposed would be
sufficient to allow us to allow us to join stuff back up *where these keys
have been asserted* which is our primary and most pressing use-case. In doing
so, it would remove one of the major barriers to the wide adoption of OWL in
bioinformatics.

Matthew