comparing owl semantics

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:59:56 +0100
To: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

Dave Turner has finished his time at HP, the final report on his work on
OWL Semantics, particularly on Full vs DL can be found at:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2007/HPL-2007-146.html

Comparing OWL Semantics

Turner, David; Carroll, Jeremy J.

HPL-2007-146
20070904
External

Keyword(s): OWL; semantic web

Abstract: The OWL Web Ontology Language is endowed with two model
theories, reflecting its origins as a compromise between two different
communities. By design these model theories give rise to very similar
semantics, and a precise statement of the correspondence between the
model theories is conjectured with a sketch proof at the end of the OWL
semantics specification document. We have filled in the details of this
sketch proof using the Isabelle/HOL proof assistant, and developed
machinery for further study of the formal semantics of OWL. Our study
was sufficiently detailed to find a handful of minor errors in the
specification of the semantics of OWL that previous work had overlooked.
We also sought a stronger result by showing a partial converse to the
known correspondence, but it proved impossible to achieve this within
our time constraints; instead we conjecture a possible method for
strengthening the correspondence.

21 Pages

enjoy

Jeremy