RE: Legal Persons

A reasoner should do very little with the <rdf:Alt> example that you
gave. OWL classes are RDF classes, and RDF classes are *not* RDF
containers, of which rdf:Alt is an example. Membership of RDF (thus OWL)
classes is all about the rdf:type relation whereas membership of RDF
containers is all about the membership properties rdf:_1, rdf:_2, ...
and in particular, asserting an rdfs:range says something about rdf:type
relationships, not container-memberships.

It's a little like the difference between sets and lists in the real
world: both of them have 'members' but the nature of the relationship
between a set and its members is different from that between a list and
its members (but don't take that analogy too literally, because RDF
lists are neither RDF classes nor RDF containers).

The examples given by Dan Connolly and Brandon Ibach should be helpful.
I thought I should add that, because you mention rdf:Alt, you might be
wanting to model that Humans are not Corporations, and the OWL way to do
that is to use owl:disjointWith:

  <ex:Human> <owl:disjointWith> <ex:Corporation>

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Turner  Cube T400, HP Labs Bristol, Filton Road, Bristol BS34 8QZ
davidt@hp.com          +44 117 3129104 (Work) +44 7962 811627 (Mobile)

Hewlett-Packard Limited. Registered No: 690597 England