Re: Are DeprecatedClasses invisible to DIG Reasoners?

Thanks, Brandon.

Yes - that makes the most sense, and as you say, is commensurate with
the use of deprecation - as in Java - thus leaving it to an
application to decide how to present this info to a user.  For
instance, Protege adds a dark red "D" superscript to deprecated
classes - just as information to the user.  This software development
analogy is made in the OWL specs as well.

Now I more fully understand why the biomedical ontology community
associated with the OBO Foundry and Gene Ontology are not using
owl:DeprecatedClass.  They have the requirement of "retiring"/
deprecating a class when it was necessary to make changes that alter
the semantic entailments of the class or its associated axioms.  The
recommended practice is to clone the old class - giving it a new
unique rdf:ID.  The older class is re-typed to a generic
"_deprecated_class" and all its axioms are removed, so it will be
opaque to reasoners - apart from the class axiom typing it as a
"_deprecated_class".  The newly made clone then is used to make the
changes that alter the underlying entailments associated with that
class.

I was just trying to better understand how owl:DeprecatedClass
relates to this practice.  The answer appears to be - it doesn't.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Bill

On Aug 20, 2007, at 4:21 PM, Ibach, Brandon L wrote:

> Hi, Bill...
>     I also have little experience in interpreting these documents,
> but I'll give it a shot.  I don't know what additional issues the
> DIG protocol might bring into play, so I can only comment on the
> OWL aspects.  It appears that you might be getting a little
> confused between the semantics of a _class_ that is _typed_ as a
> DeprecatedClass and the actual DeprecatedClass _axiom_, itself.  I
> believe it is the axiom that "has no meaning in the model theoretic
> semantics other than that given by the RDF(S) model theory",
> meaning that an OWL reasoner should not treat the class any
> differently than if it was not typed as a DeprecatedClass.
>     This interpretation of the statement you quoted from the OWL
> Reference appears to be in line with the semantics you cited from
> section 3.3 of the OWL Semantics document, wherein the presence of
> a DeprecatedClass axiom only expands the extension of the rdf:type
> relation and does not otherwise affect the semantics.
>     Given this, I believe you could say that DeprecatedClasses are
> NOT invisible to reasoners, but that the DeprecatedClass axiom
> (effectively) is.  (Mind you, I'd say this is true for OWL DL,
> though not so much for OWL Full, about whose semantics I will not
> claim any solid understanding.)  I believe this is in line with
> most models for deprecation in computer languages.  That is,
> something which is deprecated will continue to operate as it
> always, but the user of it (be it a programmer, modeler, user,
> etc.) may receive warning messages to remind them that they should
> try to transition away from using it.
> -Brandon :)

Bill Bug