Are DeprecatedClasses invisible to DIG Reasoners?

From: William Bug <William.Bug@drexelmed.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:33:09 -0400
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
Hi All,

This is a naive question from someone who's never - in the context of
implementing a DIG Reasoner - had to interpret either the OWL Direct
Model-Theoretic Semantics:
or the OWL Abstract Syntax:
for owl:DeprecatedClass.

I've read the W3C OWL docs - I've searched this lists archive - I've
read the SWOOP paper that talks a bit about versioning - and I've
Googled about, but nowhere can I find a simple answer to the question:

	Are DeprecatedClasses invisible to DIG Reasoners?

The following sentence in the OWL Language Reference implies they
might be:

	"(DeprecatedClass) has no meaning in the model theoretic semantics
other than that given by the RDF(S) model theory."

I could write a simple OWL file with logical entailments from which a
reasoner can identify inferred sets, then go in and declare some of
the Classes as DeprecatedClasses to see how this effects the reasoner
output, but I thought I'd simply come to the source and ask the
experts.  Something tells me from the variety of scenarios a reasoner
might have to confront when parsing a complex OWL file with specific
Classes and/or Properties defined as deprecated that the answer may
not be straight-forward.

Having said this, given in OWL DL, owl:Class is a direct subclass of
rdfs:Class (as opposed to being equivalent to rdfs:Class) and
owl:DeprecatedClass is also a direct subclass of rdfs:Class, it seems
reasonable to assume DeprecatedClasses definitions have not logical

What would it mean, then, for a Class definition to contain the
following type specification:
<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#DeprecatedClass"/>
I've noticed when I specify an owl:Class as "Deprecated" in Protege-
OWL (<= v3.3beta), this element is added to the otherwise unchanged
class specification.

Many thanks for any info or citations you can provide on this issue.

Bill Bug

Bill Bug

Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine