Re: declaredAs

From: Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:21:36 -0400
To: Matthew Horridge <matthew.horridge@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>

On 7/25/07 10:13 AM, Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Revisiting the issue of declaring and typing, because it is causing
> problems - in particular backwards compatibility with OWL 1.0
>
> Below is a message to the list from Evren Sirin
>
>> On 26 Jan 2007, at 20:22, Evren Sirin wrote:
>>
>> In OWL 1.0, there is not really a difference between declarations and
>> typing. Having a triple <p, rdf:type, owl:ObjectProperty>
>> constitutes its declaration (as on object property in this case). I
>> agree that requiring declaration for every resource is not a good
>> idea. OWL-DL requires every resource to be typed and it turns out
>> that many ontologies out on the Web fall into OWL-DL expressivity but
>> do not meet this requirement. But now are we separating declarations
>> from typing and say that declarations are not required but typing
>> still is?
>>

>> And if I understand the mapping from RDF graphs to OWL 1.1 correctly,
>> an ontology that has just the above triple (or any any number of
>> rdf:type triples where the object is one of owl:ObjectProperty,
>> owl:DatatypeProperty, or owl:Class) will be mapped to an empty OWL
>> 1.1 ontology. I don't think this is a desired result.
>
> I am in complete agreement with the last point.  There are plenty
> (enough to cause problems) of ontologies that just consist of rdf:type
> triples such as A rdf:type owl:Class.  As Evren points out, when
> parsed, these documents result in empty ontologies, which is less than
> desirable - users of tools such as editors find this confusing and
> don't expect it.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to
> resolve this?
My suggestion (which I might have mentioned in the past) is to drop
owl11:declaredAs keyword completely and use rdf:type instead. In the
RDF/XML mapping, the triple C rdf:type owl:Class would be mapped to
Declaration(OWLClass(C)) directly (similarly for properties, individuals
and datatypes).

Cheers,
Evren