Re: OWL DL extension question

From: Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:41:35 -0400
To: conrad.bock@nist.gov
CC: public-owl-dev@w3.org, Evan Wallace <evan.wallace@nist.gov>

On 3/21/07 1:55 PM, Conrad Bock wrote:
> DLers,
>
> Was wondering if anyone is looking into whether this fragment can be
> added tractably to OWL DL (1.0):
>
>   (forall (x y z)
>      (if (and (P x y)
>               (R x z))
>          (S y z)))
>
> For example, the uncles of my children include all my brothers
> (P=children, R=brothers, S=uncles).

You can turn the antecedent into a property chain using the inverse of P
and then use the standard complex role inclusions of OWL 1.1 as:

SubObjectPropertyOf(SubObjectPropertyChain(InverseObjectProperty(children)
brothers) uncles)

provided that the restrictions described at [1] are not violated.
> My understanding is this is different from general role inclusion:
>
>   (forall (x y z)
>      (if (and (P x y)
>               (R y z))
>          (S x z)))
>
> For example, my brothers include all the uncles of my children
> (P=children, R=uncles, S=brothers).

You are correct that this inclusion axiom is saying something slightly
different.

Regards,
Evren

[1] http://owl1_1.cs.manchester.ac.uk/owl_specification.html#7