Re: plain and datatyped literals - DL happy with 1 property for both?

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:41:34 +0000
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: public-owl-dev@w3.org, public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

Hi Dan,

> Hi OWL experts

[I see no reply from an OWL expert yet so let me take a shot instead.]

> Quick Q: is OWL DL (or OWL 1.1 proposal for that matter) happy with the
> use of a single property, sometimes taking plain RDF literals, other
> times taking a datatyped literal.

Yes. An owl:DatatypeProperty can take any value from LVi (the set of
literal values, the extension of rdfs:Literal).

The RDF-compatible OWL semantics says that LVi contains plain literals,
plain literals with language tags and typed literals with supported
types (which includes rdf:XMLLiteral). The DL conditions require that
LVi be distinct from all the other sets (IOT(individuals), IOC(classes)
etc) but don't preclude use of plain literals that I can see.

Dave