Re: Semantics of antisymmetric properties

From: Michael Schneider <m_schnei@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:45:24 +0100
To: Boris Motik <bmotik@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: gstoil@image.ece.ntua.gr, evren@clarkparsia.com, public-owl-dev@w3.org

Hi Boris!

Boris Motik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would just like to point out an important issue: we currently don't know
> how to reason with antisymmetric properties. In fact, we don't even know
> whether reasoning in SROIQ with antisymmetric properties is decidable.

Oh, I see! I did not knew this.

> Hence, for the time being at least, I don't believe we have a choice other
> than to rename antisymmetric into asymmetric.

Yes, this would avoid confusion, and it would leave open the possibility
to introduce AntisymmetricObjectPropertyS in a future version of OWL,
provided that reasoning with antisymmetric properties turns out to be
decidable and efficient some day. If this should happen,
AsymmetricObjectProperty axioms would then be rendered into syntactic
sugar for a combination of antisymmetricity and irreflexivity axioms.
Would be ok!

Cheers,
Michael