Re: OWL 1.1 and the RDF heritage

From: Matthew Pocock <matthew.pocock@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:02:16 +0000
To: Michael Schneider <m_schnei@gmx.de>
Cc: erdmann@ontoprise.de, semantic-web@w3c.org, moritz.weiten@ontoprise.de, public-owl-dev@w3.org

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 23:06, Michael Schneider wrote:
> First, an RDF mapping problem. It is not immediately clear to me how to
> map a construct like the above commented subclass axiom to RDF. It
> should probably be something like (in N3):
>
>    <URIofAxiom> owl11:comment "a literal" .
>
> But what is the URI of an /axiom/?

Yup - this is what I was trying to get at in an earlier thread. Having this
URI of the axiom lets us do loads of funkey stuff, but currently OWL 1.1
doesn't give us it.

> Second, a semantical problem. Say, we restrict our usage of such
> comments to only annotate /resources/. The problem is, that an RDF
> triple like
>
>    <URIofResource> owl11:comment "a literal" .
>
> cannot be really semantic-less. It is always assumed in RDF(S) that
> there is some interpretation for a given RDF triple, derived from the
> interpretations of its subject, predicate and object.

Perhaps the way that 'no semantics' is used here is missleading. Some parts of
the axiom have semantic meaning for the thing the axiom is about. Other parts
have semantic meaning only for the axiom itself. The viewpoing of the OWL 1.1
people is very much that only what it is about counts. So, if I annotate an
axiom with a comment"my fav axiom" then it does not affect how the thing the
axiom is refering to is classified. However, it would affect how the axiom is
classified - it is now an instance of an axiom with a comment annotation. We
tend to bi byopically obsessed with only the 'about' part of the axiom, which
is probably a Bad Thing.

Matthew