Re: declaredAs

From: Matthew Pocock <matthew.pocock@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:06:43 +0000
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: "Boris Motik" <bmotik@cs.man.ac.uk>, "'Michael Schneider'" <m_schnei@gmx.de>, public-owl-dev@w3.org, evren@clarkparsia.com, matthew.horridge@cs.man.ac.uk

Just providing a data-point for this discussion.

In our semantic web application, we need to be able to move fairly arbitrary
bags of axioms through web services. The client and server side already know
and share a base-level ontology, and they just send each other 'extra' axioms
to clarify things. If we had to declare everything in every message, we would
have to move the entire ontology every time we wanted to say anything. Having
said that, in the shared ontology, we want everything declared so it is
locked down tight. So, for our app we need both tight declarations and the
ability to move arround axioms without them.

Matthew