RDF mapping of DataComplementOf

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:37:09 -0800
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org

The current OWL 1.1 to RDF mapping appears to use owl:complementOf to
represent DataComplementOf.  However, owl:complementOf is already used
in class axioms as well and has owl:Class as domain and range.  It would
break backwards compatibility if this property be reused.  I suggest to
introduce a distinct new system property such as owl:dataComplementOf.

A related detail: the property that links a restricted datarange with
its base is currently called owl:onDataRange.  This was probably done
since earlier drafts had something like owl:DataRangeRestrictions, but
(at least from my non-native English background) it reads strange to
have an owl:DataRange with an owl:onDataRange value.  IMHO clearer
alternatives would be owl:baseDataRange (more consistent with XSD spec
which uses xsd:base) or owl:subDataRangeOf (consistent with OWL/RDF's
rdfs:subClassOf).

Regards,
Holger