New draft charter (was Re: Responses to "Draft of charter for NextWebOnt (Proposed) Working Group")

There are some interesting debates on substance in this thread.
However, I think it distracts a bit from the discussion of the
charter *per se*. So, I would ask, for clarity of discussion, that
people split off substantial substantive debates into separate
thread. Here I'm trying to respond as much as possible wrt to the
charter alone. I've made some changes to the draft to address the
concerns Jim has raised.

On 12 Jan 2007, at 14:37, Jim Hendler wrote:

> As I promised - I might have some more comments - here are some:
[snip]

> I agree with many of Bijan's motivations (seeAlso his blog) but I
> have some concerns as to whether this fully considers some issues
> about the usability/marketability of OWL:

As anyone who reads the comments or knows me, I (and others) have put
an *enormous* amout of consideration into various issues about the
usability and marketability of OWL. Of course, not everyone will
agree with my judgments on these matters, and for some I am reluctant
to come to settled judgements due to lack of solid information, and
variations in situations and requirements.

Any charter builds in *some* assumptions about what's usable, useful,
and saleable while trying to balance in other considerations as well.
Part of the consensus building and standardization process is making
sure that enough of everyone's perceived interests are addressed
sufficiently to make it worth all our while. Since not every
stakeholder...including future WG members who, after all, will be
putting up substantial resources to complete the work...is present
for this (or any) charter discussion, I'm inclined to be very careful
about what we build into the charter. I want there to be the
flexibility for the group to meet its members' (and other
stakeholders') needs; I want support for "getting it done" on
schedule; and I want the probability of good outcomes. I'm pretty
sure that the current charter supports these desires on balance.

> Anyway, my comments on this are that I think these are good goals,
> but when we look at the deliverables I don't see some things I
> think are needed
>
>  1 -  There are a set of existing recommendation docs, esp. the
> model theory, the guide, the reference manual and the overview
> which are important to OWL.'s use.   The new charter says the group
> will:
>
> The working group will work to ensure a smooth transition from OWL to
> OWL 1.1 by providing suitable outreach documents (whether new or as
> updates to existing documents), and by striving to maximize backwards
> compatibility, especially of ontologies.
>
> I'd like to see a specific commitment to extending the 4 documents
> I mention above - doesn't mean new ones couldn't be written, but a
> group updating a spec should update the mandatory documents

On the grounds above I'm very reluctant to see this this into the
charter. For example, I think that refactoring the Semantics and
Abstract Syntax document into separate Functional Syntax, Semantics,
and Mapping to RDF documents is likely a very good thing (all these
areas are in the current S&AS document!). I am *very* reluctant
*either* way to constrain the working group in this regard. That is,
I am comfortable to leaving it to the group whether to directly
update the S&AS document "in place" or to split it up. I am not
comfortable seeing either as part of the charter.

It is not unusual for a WG to change the "shape" of recommendations
in a new incarnation (see, RDF Model and Syntax vs. the set of spec
RDF Core developed), so I don't see allowing that freedom is out of
the norm for W3C charters. OTOH, some charters explicitly require
evolution:
	<http://www.w3.org/2003/09/xmlap/xml-schema-wg-charter.html>

I believe that there are decent arguments on both sides (for various
cases) and that the WG should marshall the evidence they need to make
a decision (e.g., comparing the documents; thinking about what needs
to be added; looking at current WG practice; checking log files for
traffic; etc. etc.).

> 2 - I am most worried, personally, about the "example, identifying
> useful sub-languages that are (more) tractable and/or efficiently
> implementable, e.g., with standard relational and deductive
> database technology" statement." (from [1])
>  One mistake we made in the original OWL group was we did not spend
> enough time thinking about "usability" instead of theoretical aspects.

This is a tendentious history.

>     While I have no problem with the tractible subsets document, it
> very much does NOT answer the mail on this.   For example,
> syntactic considerations, ease of use considerations, and usability
> concerns are not included in that document - it is too much a
> theoretical aspect.

I think you are conflating two things: 1) the design considerations
for subspecies and 2) the presentation in the tractable fragments
document. At least two of the fragments, EL++ and DL Lite are
languages that take a panoply of user and application issues into
consideration. Effective tractability is one important user
consideration (EL++ balances the high expressive needs that many life
sciences ontologies require with a proof procedure that has been
shown to scale to the large size of many current life sciences
ontologies). DL Lite captures a large number of UML class diagrams
*and* can be realized *on top* of existing relational database
technology, thus can be used for database integration, even "on the
fly" database integration (and you can use restricted UML to directly
build DL Lite ontologies). These considerations are mentioned in the
document, though not highlighted. They are more extensively discussed
in the referenced papers.

>   Oracle, for example, announced at ISWC the subset of OWL they
> intended to support, and it was not a maximal tractible subset - it
> was a smaller subset that they chose for issues including how
> straightforward it was to explain to their users.

Teachability is a consideration, though a tricky one, I think (after
all, it varies enormously with the user base). And only one of many
considerations.

The TF document is not a proposal for a set of species, it simply
highlights "large" fragments with "interesting" properties. This
should help people understand what features "combine" well, and so
can help them develop the fragments they think hit the right sweet
spot (one problem with OWL Lite is that the features "stripped"
didn't actually lower the complexity *or* allow for substatively
distinct implementation techniques). Identifying which species, if
any, should actually be identified is exactly the sort of things the
WG should hash out.

One thing to recognize about the TF doc is that the fragments chosen
aren't *arbitrary* (or solely motivated by formal complexity
results)...there are many many theoretically interesting fragments
(from many perspectives, including that of formal worst case
tractability of key inference services....consider propositoinal
logic! (which does have a significant and interesting user base)).
The five languages selected are largely *representative* of distinct
families of languages that have interestingly distinct strengths and
weaknesses expressively, implementationally, and support for various
applications. They all have *champions* and *implementations* and
*natural user bases*. These are, to my mind, key (if not necessarily
sufficient) components to a good profile/species/etc.

I hope this lays to rest the concern that "merely theoretical"
considerations are driving any aspect of OWL 1.1. For many of us,
*effective* tractability is a constraint on a useful and useable
species. Thus, the TF doc provides a framework for discussion, not a
presentation of all the issues that go into designing a species. To
make this crystal clear, I added "usable" to the relevant section of
the charter. I do not at all regard this as a substantial change, but
it might help clarify:

"""Rationalization of the species of OWL. For example, identifying
useful and usable sub-languages that are (more) tractable and/or
efficiently implementable, e.g., with standard relational and
deductive database technology."""

Secondly, I tweaked the deliverable to be "Tractable Fragment/
Rational Species (RaS)" to highlight the options available to the group.

>   I think it important to have a named subset of OWL that falls in
> this area - if the group is not willing to take this on, then the
> "rationalization" goal should not be included.
>
> 3 - Whil I like the idea of refinement of OWL specification, I
> would have trouble supporting a recommended normative syntax that
> is a "Deterministic and round-trippable" mapping from the syntax to
> RDF graphs - as this means arbitrary RDF graphs expressing OWL
> relations would not necessarily be able to "play"

That doesn't follow. Deterministic and roundtrippable means that for
every Functional Syntax document there is one, and only one, RDF
graph (by this mapping) *and vice versa* (assuming that you otherwise
match the species). There maybe "trivially" equivalent graphs that
map into distinct FS documents...but that's ok! They'll still be
equivalent, but their syntactic distinctiveness will be preserved.

In other words, this is not a constraint on either syntax, but on the
mapping. There could be other mappings (including non-deterministic
ones), just as there can be grammars which require backtracking for a
language that has an LL(1) grammar. Both the nasty grammar (which
might be more readable) and the nice LL(1) grammar will, in the
appropriate setting, determine the same set of strings, but one has
computational, implementational, and usability burdens that are worth
avoiding. So too with a non-deterministic vs. a deterministic
mapping. The former is somewhat easier to specify, but is nastier to
work with overall.

So I don't see a need for a charter change to address this. If such a
mapping proves infeasible or impossible, the working group can drop
the extra constraints and go for a nondeterministic, non-
roundtrippable mapping. (Remember, dropping functionality is easier,
under this charter, than adding.)

[snip]

> 4 - the scope seems awfully ambitious for a 1 year group, esp. when
> you consider the above.  I would recommend deciding whether to take
> all these things on and allowing more time, or cutting out some of
> these  (do XML spec or Owl species or refinement of spec - not all
> of them)

The charter allows for the dropping of tasks or functionality in
order to meet the schedule. Since a good deal of the substantive work
is done already (including some implementations!!!!) I don't think
it's pie-in-the-sky ambitious. The charter allows for the WG to
"adjust down" on the fly if they need to.

Also, there are several months before the conceivable start of the
working group. A good number of people will be working with the OWL
1.1 language and specs (and on them) during that time. For example, I
plan to do a big chunk of work on the XML syntax and on the RDF
mapping, and their attendant documents. Furthermore, it was suggested
at OWLED2006 that interested parties could start friendly telecons
*before* the working group started. We already have gotten lots of
feedback on the design, and I expect more. So, we'll have pretty well
polished stuff and a good deal of momentum going in.

> Finally - a quick note - please notice that compared to my earlier
> reservations about this WG, I feel this charter is a major
> improvement and these are all constructive criticisms based on (too
> much) experience with WGs, not meant to be "show stoppers" - but
> remember that for this WG to work, there must be players from
> outside academe, and for these more applied players, the
> sturcturing of the WG qua WG is as (and sometimes more) important
> than the list of the deliverables.   Getting the charter right is
> really important.

For the record, many of the people giving input (e.g., at OWL ED,
etc.) are not academics, and the submitters and "supporters", all of
whom have expressed willingness to participate in a working group,
include several from outside academia. We tried to model the charter
on WS-Policy's (a WG that was mostly non-academic), and considered
several other current charters while developing this. This is not to
say that it can't be further improved, but that such considerations
are already in play. Regardless of in or out of academia, the charter
needs to define an attractive and effective working group. That is
the overall guiding principle for me.

The refined proposed charter draft is at:
	http://homepages.cs.manchester.ac.uk/%7Ebparsia/2007/temp/
15-01-2006NextOntProposedCharter.html
and attached.

Oh, I should add, again, that this proposed charter draft has no
official status.

Cheers,
Bijan.