Re: OWL reasoning in rules - infinite domains and queries

On 30 May 2007, at 19:08, Matt Williams wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Following on from this discussion, and Ulrike's paper, if we have
> infinite (inferred) individuals, such as chains of fathers or
> Guards, and we query the ontology, what is returned?
>
> Would a query of the form Guard(x) or Father(x) return an infinite
> number of bindings? Or can we restrict it to "Known" individuals
> (which seems to be what Ulrike's paper suggests). Is this similar
> to what you can do with some of the SPARQL implementations (e.g. in
> Pellet) where you can allow/ disallow bNodes - or is this distinct
> (I suspect they're different - the rdf graph is not, I hope,
> infinite).

Let's consider the traditional service of instance retrieval (as,
say, presented in the DIG interface). This is, by definition, only of
named individuals, so no problems there.

In conjunctive queries, it depends on what "kind" of variable you
use. Traditionally in DL systems, there have been two kinds of
variables, distinguished and non-distinguished. Distinguished
variables appear in the head of the query (i.e., the SELECT bit) and
are reported in the results as a column. They also, traditionally,
have been restricted to the named individuals, or, as it is sometimes
known, the "active domain". Non-distinguished variables appear only
in the body and are not reported back and range over arbitrary
elements of the domain. These are similar to just having an
existential restriction atom (though they are more expressive as they
can do cycles).

Pellet is the only reasoner I know of that supports non-distinguished
variables.

Variables that *report back* arbitrary domain elements do, indeed,
have challenges (these would be analogous to variables in SPARQL over
rdf; they can be tricky even for simple entailment). See my ROW
sparql tutorial for some discussion:
	http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~bparsia/2006/row-tutorial/#slide20

Cheers,
Bijan.