Re: OWL reasoning in rules

From: Matt Williams <matthew.williams@cancer.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:48:31 +0100
To: Ulrike Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, Owl Dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>

Dear Ian, Ulrike & Bijan,

Thank you so much for your speedy & comprehensive replies. To clarify, I
was indeed talking about using a rules engine to do OWL reasoning;
Bijan, you're right about the imprecision of what a "rule" is (and I'm
not clear, either. The work I'm doing at the moment uses very simple
horn-clause rules with variables that are unified with terms from the
ABox). Also, the distinction between data-heavy and axiom heavy reasoning.

The reason it came up was a) because it seems to be a perennial problem
and b) there seem to be some existing techniques (like backward
chaining) that I can't immediately see how one would implement when your
data is the ABox of an ontology.

Thanks a lot,

Matt