Re: OWL1.1 APis

Holger Knublauch wrote:

>> Well, OWL API support will definitely be there. We're already happier
>> having a non-fame based level (the framey flavor is supported as views
>> over the axiomatic ones). Jena support should be straightforward and I
>> imagine that Holger, using Jena, could comment more about that.
>
> Yes, as already written elsewhere [1], all triple-based APIs such as
> Jena and Sesame already support OWL 1.1 on a syntactic level, and Evren
> has given an example [2] on how to build OWL 1.1 constructs with Jena.
> The Jena mailing list may be more helpful on insights on the Jena
> developers' strategy for OWL 1.1, but it would be fairly straight
> forward to extend the higher level Jena OntModel API with 1.1 specific
> classes.

In principle you may be right though some aspects look a little tricky
to tie to up with our existing API support (handling of datatypes for
example).

> In how far they would want to support OWL 1.1 reasoning in
> their built-in reasoners is certainly a different question,

Had OWL 1.1 had some level of OWL/full compatibility (which I guess
would have required the RDF mapping to directly expose the punning) then
some Jena native reasoning support might have made sense. However, given
how big a break OWL 1.1 is from OWL then it's not clear to me that we
can do anything useful on that front in a sufficiently backward
compatible way.

 > but with
 > Pellet's Jena bridge this should not really be a show stopper for Jena
 > users.

Quite so.

Dave