Re: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

Hi Kaarel --

Thanks for your note, and for taking the time to try out the Internet
Business Logic system.

You wrote ...

ACE can't handle unrestricted English, in this sense it doesn't scale.
Regarding the content of your example [1], I think ACE can express all of
it, apart from the computations (i.e. things like a + b = c).

Could you expand a bit on what 'express' means?    Does ACE map to a subset
of logic that is decidable, so that one can actually run the example?

I think that having a real grammar is important. Support for things like
verb phrase negation, quantifiers "every" and "no", relative clauses,
etc, let you write nice and compact sentences. It's important at least for
verbalization.
Also, you get a notion of syntactic variety which you can use in
paraphrasing, e.g. you can paraphrase if-then sentences as every-sentences
and relative clauses as full clauses (without leaving the language).

Yes, learning-by-doing is certainly good in many user interface situations.
But here's another question.  Suppose I need to communicate a result to the
users of the system something like

     so far as is known at 0500 GMT on 20061203 there is no evidence that J
is a terrorist

Is it possible to input  the necessary knowledge, make the deductions, and
get an output like that, all via controlled English?  Over many examples,
without excessive dictionary and grammar maintenance?

I played with the Internet Business Logic. The idea is elegant. But is
it useful?  Have you done studies showing that people prefer IBL to, say,
Prolog.

Thanks for saying the idea is elegant.  Hopefully, studies such as [1,2,3]
are building evidence that it is also useful.  The idea is that people who
don't know how to program in Prolog (or any other language) can write and
run these kinds of examples.  To that end, the encapsulated inference method
is 'more declarative' [4] than that of Prolog, and there are things like
English explanations and SQL generation that Prolog does not provide.

I'm guessing that, through discussions like this, it will gradually become
clear that  controlled English is useful for some things, and uncontrolled
executable English is useful  for others.  There may even be some overlap.

                                                       Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
                                Shared use is free
Adrian Walker
Reengineering
Phone: USA 860 830 2085

[1]
ww.reengineeringllc.com/Oil_Industry_Supply_Chain_by_Kowalski_and_Walker.pdf

[2]   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/MedMine2.agent

[3]   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

[4]    Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is
Simple
  Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated
Reasoning, 11:1-22