RE: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

Surely you don't mean to imply that I am not creating material aligned with
TimBL's vision! I am building (the second version of) an OWL ontology for
legal documents; and I am annotating XHTML markup of public statutes and
other legal material using a variant of RDF/A based on an ECMA syntax....
all vanilla but with a dash of nutmeg. See Legal-RDF.org for more
information if you want.

Your approach sounds not vanilla at all if, indeed, you make the claim that
there is "no vocabulary or grammar construction" -- I think that building
ontologies is hard work! which, I am hearing you suggest, is an unnecessary
task on the road towards fruition of the "vision". A little hyperbole
perhaps?

Anyway I suspect we'd agree that within document prose are definitions of
classes and properties. For instance, our Constitution defines a concept
called "Citizen".... should we ontologists be defining that concept within
our ontologies, referencing our own definition in any annotations of the
Constitution, or should our ontologies be referencing the concept as defined
in that document? I think that the proper answer is the latter if, indeed,
TimBL's Trust layer is ever to be more than a marketing idea.

Thanks,
John