Re: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

From: Pete Haglich <phaglic@isx.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:14:26 -0500
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org

On Nov 30, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Kaarel Kaljurand wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:07 +0100, Kaarel Kaljurand wrote:
>> >
>> > I just hope that the benefit of having a nice English
>> verbalization outweighs
>> > the burden of having to apply this fix.
>>
>> Changing the URIs in an ontology is about the most burdensome thing
>> you can ask an ontology developer to do.
>
> Aren't there refactoring tools integrated into ontology editors?

The problem extends beyond changing the characters that make up the
URIs in the ontology files.  The problem is dealing with the impacts
across other ontologies that import or refer to the re-URI'd
resources, instance data, rule sets, and special-purpose application
code.  It's hard enough to deal with in a closed onto-ecology, nearly
impossible in an open semantic web setting.  If I publish OWL (RDF)
on the web I don't know who else is referring to my resources.

--
Pete Haglich
Lockheed Martin Applied Technology Laboratories, ISX Laboratory