RE: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

WHY?? Properties relate things together. One makes an assertion,
typically, by connecting two things with a property name. In English
one makes an assertion by writing a sentence. Grammatical sentences
must contain a main verb. It seems natural to link the verb with the
property. It is impossible to create a 'natural' English rendering
which has no verbs at all.

>  The UN/CEFACT naming standards for instance, use nouns in
>all cases.  My concern is that this community's singular use of verbs, whether
>compounded with nouns or not, continues to unnecessarily alienate the rest of
>the development world.

RDF is intended for use by a vastly larger audience, however.

>  To me, this is a topic that needs to be addressed by the
>W3C because it was RDF's original specifications which started this truly
>onerous practice without a shred of rationale.

To me, the restriction to nouns would need some supporting rationale.
How can one express a proposition using only nouns? My mother's name
is Betty. What does one say? Betty Motherhood Pat?

>  And the paper cited above hardly
>finds that a standard practice exists for naming RDF properties

There shouldn't be a standard practice for naming properties, IMO.
There are just too many properties around.

>--  gee, both
>RDF and OWL themselves even have issues in this regard!

What issues?

Pat Hayes

>John McClure

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell