From: Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand@gmail.com>
Date: Nov 25, 2006 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: OWL "Sydney Syntax"
To: public-owl-dev@w3.org

Hello,

On 11/22/06, Anne Cregan <annec@cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> Following on from Manchester's lead and the proposed "Manchester
> Syntax"
> which was presented at OWL-ED 2006,
> there was some discussion as to the possibility of an extension of
> this
> approach, using whole English sentences with a controlled vocabulary
> to comprise a syntax which is more intuitively natural for non-
> logicians,
> AND has a precise DL semantics.

what you describe is also one of our goals in the Attempto project
(see: http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/). We have recently implemented
a program
that converts OWL ontologies into Attempto Controlled English (ACE),
see:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/documentation/OWL_to_ACE/

This should give an overview of what we think the controlled natural
language for
expressing OWL should be like. Our claim is that an average user can
grasp
the contents of an ontology better if it was presented in ACE rather
than
visualized by Protege or similar editors. (We haven't done any
experiments
yet to back this up.)

There is also a description of how to convert ACE texts into OWL:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/documentation/writing_owl_in_ace.html

Comments welcome.