Re: Assigning a property in OWL DL

On Aug 10, 2006, at 6:06 PM, Daniel Gresh wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks for the reply. I added a type to the property (Don't know
> why I didn't think of that when it said there wasn't a type),

Personally, I find that kind of error message really hard to deal
with especially when I'm unfamiliar with both the tool and the
language. One nice thing that the Pellet demo does is give you a
snippet of rdf which repairs the ontology to OWL DL, if it can figure
them out:
	<http://www.mindswap.org/2003/pellet/demo>

> and that solved that issue; I defined it to be an ObjectProperty..

Oh, no. That's not the way to go. Well, ok, maybe it is. The object
of the triple needs a property too.

> However, there is still another problem:
>
> Invalid OWL DL syntax in j.0:ImageProperty-statement: j.
> 0:IRCalSystemAppendix j.0:ImageProperty j.1:D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png
> This ontology is NOT well-formed.

I hate that "NOT", fwiw :)

> Let me post my updated code:
>
> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://ontology.lle.rochester.edu/
> ImageProperty"/>
> <j.0:InfraredFullApertureCalorimeterSystem rdf:about="http://
> ontology.lle.rochester.edu/IRCalSystemAppendix">
>    <j.0:ImageProperty rdf:resource="http://
> ontology.lle.rochester.edu/Pics/Diagnostics/Calorimetry/D-AB-
> R-035_REVA_13.png"/>
>  </j.0:InfraredFullApertureCalorimeterSystem>
>
> This takes care of the type problem. The "invalid OWL DL syntax" is
> still a mystery. I do not get why it is saying this, as it looks
> good to me. What is invalid about it? Do you have any ideas?

You are still missing two type triples. I took the above snippet and
posted it to:
	<http://www.mindswap.org/dav/ontologies/bijan/2006/DanielGreshExample1>

(took me a while becasue swoop kept fixing the bugs ;))

If you run this through the pellet demo you get

	<http://www.mindswap.org/cgi-bin/2003/pellet/pelletGet.cgi?
inputFile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mindswap.org%2Fdav%2Fontologies%2Fbijan%
2F2006%2FDanielGreshExample1&inputFormat=RDF%
2FXML&inputString=&Species=true&Consistency=true&classifyFormat=NONE&que
ryFile=&queryFormat=SPARQL&queryString=>

Non OWL-DL features used:
Untyped Class: Assuming
ontology.lle.rochester.edu:InfraredFullApertureCalorimeterSystem is a
class
Untyped Individual: Assuming calorimetry:D-AB-R-035_REVA_13.png is an
individual

And then some RDF/XML to add to fix that.

Better living through better error messages :)

(Not that Pellet is all that it can be. For example, it doesn't do so
well with XML or RDF errors...for those, use the W3C RDF valdiator
and/or and xml wellformedness checker).

Cheers,
Bijan.