Re: policies in OWL

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:06:23 -0400
To: Somaya Aboulwafa <somaya_ahmad@yahoo.com>, public-owl-dev <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
At 4:27 -0700 5/18/05, Somaya Aboulwafa wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Iím new to semantic web languages. I want to
choose a language for representing and reasoning
over policies. I wonder can I use OWL for
representing security polices?? In addition, How
can I reason over those polices? And what type of
reasoning does OWL support?

Thanks in advance,

Somaya

Somaya - it would take a long time to provide
detailed answers to all those questions.  Some of
the people in my lab, particularly Bijan Parsia
and Vlad Kolovski have done work on representing
policies in OWL, and their work is described at
   http://www.mindswap.org/2005/services-policies/
which includes pointers to some papers and
presentations that might better answer your
questions and also a demo ontology showing how it
works (when you load into our ontology browser
and turn on an OWL reasoner).  There is also an
XSLT for mapping from the Web Services Policy
Language (WS-Policy) to OWL that can be used as a
starting place for this work
  Hope that helps,
   Jim H

--
Professor James Hendler
Director, Semantic Web and Agent Technologies