The OWL ontology IRI versus what OWL terms are rdfs:isDefinedBy

From: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:07:39 +0200
To: public-owl-comments@w3.org
Hi all,

There seems to be a problem in the OWL ontology RDF document [1]. The
ontology itself (i.e. the only resource in the document with rdf:type
owl:Ontology) is identified by the IRI
<http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl>. But the classes and properties
defined there are all described with rdfs:isDefinedBy referring to the
IRI <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> (i.e. with trailing hash). But
there is no resource with that IRI described in the document.

I am quite sure that the terms should link to the defined ontology,
and certainly not to an unknown resource. In practice this has caused
some problems for me (e.g. when generating documentation).

(I do not propose *which* of the two IRIs should be used; that is,
whether an ontology is an information resource or not. See this thread
[2] for a discussion about that, complete with some statistics and
suggested best practices.)

Best regards,
Niklas

[1]: http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl