Re: OWL 2

From: Mark Montgomery <markm@kyield.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:15:18 -0600
To: "Ian Horrocks" <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-owl-comments@w3.org>
I understand Ian -- you have your hands full.

We are working on a new paper that will provide examples of about a dozen
pragmatic uses of the technology at the intersection of  the semantic
Internet (we include communications / mobile) and the enterprise, pieces of
which have been well received by very large org CIOs -- may help in funding,
although by necessity we must restrict some information.

This paper has been very popular with large organizations in particular -
Unleash the innovation within (very little sales promotion)

And more recently this brief on understanding the semantic enterprise has
taken the lead: (no sales promotion)

Of course one challenge with adoption of open systems is that one doesn't
necessarily have an incentive to promote use cases that will then be used by
entrenched vendors -- in fact we often experience a disincentive -- many
orgs are just gathering intel for internal projects for example -- expanding
empires rather than spreading economic diversity -- we are seeking go to
market partners for these and other reasons.

These are just a few of the structural issues we have come across FYI that
actually may be useful from a standards design perspective, but overall the
interest in the semantic enterprise has been very surprising during the past
year (finally -- third admin I have promoted advanced knowledge systems in
the U.S. Gov for example, and we still have made very little progress on a
system-wide basis).

We've had quite a bit of success in communicating the potential for crisis
prevention, meritocracy, and reduction of information overload -- well over
ten thousand large orgs now, in some cases hundreds of employees in each.
One would think by now that achieving the state of a learning
organization -- particularly in the U.S. Government given a series of
systemic failures, would be unavoidably obvious, although entrenched
interests fight on as if nothing has occurred.....

Thanks again for the work.

Kind regards,

Mark Montgomery
Founder- Kyield