Re: personal comment on primer

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:14:27 +0000
To: public-owl-comments@w3.org

Thanks for the comment Jeremy. I took offense too :) but wasn't sure
if I'm the only one.

My first move was to add a disclaimer:

"""(We do not intend this example to be representative of the sorts
of domains OWL should be used for, or as a canonical example of good
modeling with OWL, or a correct representation of the rather complex,
shifting, and politically explosive domain of families. Instead, we
intend it to be a rather simple exhibition of various features of
OWL.)"""

That does seem to be the bare minimum and cheap enough.

I've also thought about making it a teaching moment, i.e., start with
simplistic model and then press on it (e.g., dealing with intersexed
persons, transgender persons, various kinds of family organizations).

I believe someone pointed out that these would be offensive to some
people (he's *redefining MARRIAGE*!), but I'd rather offend that
group :)

The other alternative is to pick a completely different domain.

(I'm not familiar with Roughgarden's model, but any more nuanced
model (or severals such!) would be preferable, IMHO.)

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to do a major revision over the
holidays and will gladly take this feedback into account.

Cheers,
Bijan.