OWL 2 Profiles and Horn-SHIQ

From: Christian Halaschek-Wiener <christian@clados.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:14:25 -0700
To: <public-owl-comments@w3.org>
Greetings,

I'm with an investment firm currently using OWL for a variety of purposes
internally within our company (some of you know me previously from my time
spent in Jim's Mindswap research group at UMD). We're very interested in the
work the group is doing on defining tractable subsets/profiles of OWL 2, as
performance guarantees are very important for our usage. I recently happened
to notice that one of the original member submissions related to tractable
fragments [1] included Horn-SHIQ. While being syntactically restricted and
having intractable taxonomic complexity, this fragment is interesting to us
because it provides modeling constructs not possible with the current
profiles defined in [2] (e.g., simultaneous usage of existential
quantification, inverse & transitive roles, etc.) and still has tractable
data complexity. I was wondering if there were specific reasons why this
profile is not currently included in the latest working draft? Thanks for
any insight or clarity the group can provide.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/owl11-tractable/

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-profiles/