How to retrieve conversation parents?

From: Mikael Nordfeldth <mmn@hethane.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:58:22 +0200
To: public-ostatus@w3.org
Using StatusNet as a federated service I have on several occasions seen
partial conversations where users I subscribe to are discussing things
users whose posts haven't reached the instance I am on.

I am curious how this should best be solved within the scope of OStatus.
The element thr:in-reply-to is of course an important part of this, but
I see no obvious way to actually fetch the contents of its referenced
post. The in-reply-to ID is not necessarily a URL either, so fetching it
straight-up with HTTP[S] is not a reliable solution.

SHOULD an OStatus PuSH feed specify an API end-point where one can
retrieve posts by atom:id, for example the one in thr:in-reply-to?

Or have I missed something in the specification that solves this?

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
Webfinger: mmn@freesocial.org