Re: Exchange of "settings" versus exchange of "capabilities"/"preferences"

Hey all,

On 06.05.14, 01:04, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> In re-reading the recently posted Editor’s draft
> (http://ortc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ortc1.html) I realized that
> there is something about Section 6.4 examples 8 and 9 that bothers me.
>
> The basic problem is that in these examples the peers send “parameters”
> (e.g. detailed settings) to each other over the wire, then “filter” them
> through the receiving and sending capabilities.
>
> In looking at the examples, it occurred to me that this implicitly
> assumes that the peers not only share a “capabilities” language in
> common, but also share a common set of “parameters” that each understands.
>
> This model seems to assume implicitly that the browsers support similar
> capabiltiies, differing only modestly.

Another issue here is that the model requires developers to distinguish
between "capabilities" and "parameters" and the difference is quite subtle.

If we absolutely need to have both objects then we might want to limit
their exposure to developers.

Emil

--
https://jitsi.org