Re: Issue 143: SSRC Conflict

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Bernard Aboba
<Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2014, at 7:14 AM, "Peter Thatcher" <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> If the JS chooses not to specify SSRCs, then the browser can pick a
>> new one, but doesn't need to fire an event.
>
> [BA] Question: SSRC not present in send.RTCRtpParameters.RTCRtpEncodingParameters means "browser chooses". For receive it means "wildcard". Correct?

Correct.  Although, "wildcard" when used with muxId means "any SSRC
with the given muxId, including latching behavior", and even without
muxId still means "demux by payload type if necessary".

>>  If choosing SSRCs is to hard for the app, then it won't choose them in the first place.
>
> [BA] With "muxId" the application won't need to choose them on the sender or specify them on the receiver. Correct?

Correct.  If they still do, what was the point of muxId?

>> Further, if it chooses to specify SSRCs,
>> it probably doesn't want the browser to start sending packets that it
>> never told it to send.
>
> [BA] So media sending would be interrupted until send() is called again with the new SSRC?

Yes, but if you're signalling SSRCs for demux, the receiver probably
isn't going to handle the media into the new SSRCs are signalled
anyway, so I don't see there being a big loss here.  And as I've
stated a few times, I think an SSRC collision will be a very unlikely
event.  You'll much more likely see media interrupted for many other
reasons.