Re: I think we need a way to configure the RTCP SSRC.

On 30.04.14, 17:22, Peter Thatcher wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org
> <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hey folks,
>
>     I personally don't see the need to set the SSRC (just as there is no
>     need to do it for bidirectional RTP) but I do agree there has to be
>     a way to obtain it from the API. We actually also need that in the
>     case when we have disparate numbers of multiple senders and
>     receivers and it can no longer be assymed what SSRC is used where.
>

> I'm pretty sure we need it at least for the 1.0 shim.

Could you please explain why?

> And I'm sure
> there are legacy interop scenarios the JS will need to specify the RTCP
> SSRC, and letting the browser choose won't be enough.  In particular,
> I'm thinking of how it will want to correlate the RTCP SSRC of an
> RtpReceiver with the RTP SSRC of an RtpSender.  I think letting the JS
> specify the RTCP SSRC in the RtpReceiver is the easiest way.

Easiest for who? From a web dev's perspective it would probably be much
more intuitive to say "this sender and receiver belong to the same
context" than "you need to extract the value of the 'four funky letters'
in the receiver and set it on the 'four funky letter' in the sender".

>     more inline:
>

>     On 30.04.14, 04:23, Robin Raymond wrote:
>

>         You are correct. This is an oversight.
>
>         The receiver must emit a "sender SSRC". Typically in a
>         bi-directional
>         scenario the client would pick the SSRC of the sending stream to
>         indicate receiver reports. But when you have 1-way streams or
>         uncouple
>         the sender from the receiver, it's not clear what value should
>         be picked.
>
>         My answers would be:
>         1) If not specified, system can pick one. It can chose an SSRC
>         "source"
>         to put into the receiver report from a sender within the same "RTC
>         context" if one exists, or just chose a new SSRC at random.
>         Either would
>         work satisfactory IMHO.
>

>     Agreed. SSRC=1 will become messy when multiple receivers are sending
>     RTCP (e.g. in an SFU conference) so a random generated SSRC would be
>     much better.
>

> ​I'm not sure why SSRC=1 would be a problem in an SFU situation.  If
> multiple receivers are all sending with SSRC=1, why would the SFU get
> confused?  They are all coming in from different connections anyway.

It's not about the SFU being confused. Some SFUs (because there's more
than one in the market ;) ) would just forward all RTP and RTCP to
everyone else so it will be up to the endpoints to distinguish them.

>         2) Not that I'm aware. I don't see what the browser engine would
>         do with
>         that information. Worse, if the send stream was broadcasted to
>         multiple
>         receivers, there would be multiple parties reporting about the
>         same SSRC
>         each with having their own source SSRC. Perhaps an app level
>         would want
>         to know the stats reported by each receiver source but I don't
>         see the
>         value in telling the sender engine what SSRC value(s) to expect
>         from the
>         receiver's source in advance.
>

>     In the current WebRTC implementation Chrome seems to be ignoring
>     RTCP FIRs from SSRCs that it doesn't know. I don't exactly know what
>     the reason is (pacing i-frames?) but it is one reason why you'd need
>     it signalled.
>

> ​Yeah, that's kind of why I asked if we need to signal this at all.  In
> principle, I don't see a reason it needs to be.

Neither do I (and this goes for both RTP and RTCP).

> Put in practice, in
> Chrome right now, if you don't signal the SSRC you're going to send RTCP
> with, Chrome will drop the RTCP on the receive side (sometimes; it's
> complicated).​  But it's possible that wasn't intentional; It may have
> just been an oversight.

Maybe, although given Chrome's overall fetish with SSRCs and how it
insists on knowing everything in advance it kind of fits into a pattern.

> By the way, it also special cases SSRC=1, such
> that it never drops the RTCP when SSRC=1.

Good to know.

Emil

--
https://jitsi.org