Re: active speaker information in mixed streams

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:

> As others have mentioned, the event rate here could be very high (50+
> PPS), and I don't think that resolution is really needed for active speaker
> identification. I have seen systems that work well even when sampling this
> information at ~ 5 Hz.
>
> As such I am still inclined to leave this as a polling interface and allow
> apps to control the resolution by their poll rate.

I would actually think that callback will be more efficient as long as you
can specify a number of packets for each callback and max number of CSRCs.
 This should be similar to ScriptProcessorNode in Web audio and will allow
to control the latency acceptable to the application, will not require any
processing when it is not used, will provide detailed info about audio
levels to implement any required post processing, and will allow to
optimize allocation of needed data structures.
Roman Shpount