Re: Signalling of start / stop

On 13/01/14 21:00, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> I think that would be up to the application.  Either on the sending
> end it sends a "hey, I'm stopping, and here's why" signal, or on the
> receiving end it sends a "hey, please stop sending" signal.  Either
> way, the application should know why it called .stop() and be able to
> signal it between sender and receiver.  Same for start.

Re-reading [1][2], I think my question was actually two different ones.

In [1] a RTCTrack (or Stream) can be started and stopped, as well as
removed. I take that as stop not being final (you'd then remove), but
rather saying "I won't send anything for a while, but may resume later".

In [2], stop is final; no way to temporarily stop the transmission (or
reception).

I don't know if there is a need for "stop sending temporarily" or not,
but regardless I think it must be specced out what happens when stop is
called (and perhaps called only on the sending side - perhaps this app
is not well behaved and does not signal in the app layer).

[1] https://rawgithub.com/openpeer/ortc/master/ortc.html#rtctrack*
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-orca/2014Jan/0000.html