Re: The Web in 2024?

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 10:18 -0400, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> [ + Felix Sasaki ]
>
> I mistakenly thought the document [PLH] was written by Philippe but I
> see it was written by Felix. Sorry for the confusion!

Felix's document is actually a draft, trying to merge/summarize several
essays written by the Interaction domain folks. Robin's document was one
of them. The wiki page hasn't been reviewed by the interaction domain
folks yet btw, so very early draft.

> On 8/12/14 9:56 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> > If any of the members of this list is interested in these guys'
> > perspectives re the Web in 2024, I highly recommend reading their
> > documents (respectively, [Robin], [Marcos] and [PLH]).

Many thanks to Felix (who is on vacation now) for starting the draft and
our goal is to finish it by end of August. Expect it to change between
now and then (I added "work in progress" at the top).

> > The ideas, viewpoints, predictions, etc. intersect many of my various
> > interests in open Web standards. In fact, these documents can and
> > should be the source of numerous discussions

We also haven't finalized how we would use it. It's likely we'd use some
form of it for the AC meeting and possibly at the extensible web summit
if folks are interested there. It is intended to be part of a discussion
in any case.

> , but I have a few
> > high-level questions to start, and if/when applicable, please feel
> > free to fork the discussion (i.e. start a new thread).

> > * What do you expect to be the major Web interoperability problem(s)
> > over the next ten years) that will need some type of open
> > standardization effort to help solve?
> >
> > * To facilitate the evolution of the Web and Web standards
> > development, what should be done differently now(ish)? In particular,
> > what do you see as the more immediate `high` priorities, versus more
> > long term activities; what new activities are needed (f.ex. to fill
> > Web standards gaps); what current activities don't help or are harmful
> > to the Web's evolution?
> >
> > * What are the most important "process related things" related to the
> > creation and evolution of open Web standards that need to change to
> > facilitate the creation of interoperable and widely deployed open Web
> > standards?

To set things in context, the scope of the wiki page is relatively
narrow since it is the Web at 2024 from the Interaction Domain point of
view. So we're trying to stay away from looking at the future of other
domains (security, privacy, accessibility) or looking at the future of
the Internet or W3C itself, but we do try to understand the consequences
on the technologies of the Interaction domain.

Philippe