Re: Disciplines/Event code list

On 29 November 2017 at 10:52, Martin Alvarez-Espinar
<martin.alvarez@fundacionctic.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In today's meeting, we discussed the need for having event codes. I think
> this is crucial and we should define a set of disciplines or type of events
> (please clarify the term, English speaking experts :)

After very long argument last year between 'discipline' and 'event',
we agreed to call these 'event codes'.  This is one area where you
will be wrong and annoy 50% of the people whatever you choose, but we
probably have thousands of lines of code with variables called
'event_code' in our app and the JSON.  Please let's not 'un-decide'
that again!!!

> 4) I didn't think about the codes, so Reportlab's are good to me, but every
> single discipline must have a unique code. A code must be part of a URI.
> Behind the URI, you will find the definition of the event.

Please see what athlib and our platform are doing...

      http://opentrack.run/athlib/build/html/eventcodes.html#event-codes

What's missing from this is simply a compact "microformat" notation
for the different hurdle height/spacings.

> So, for instance, '110m Hurdles Men' could be identified by the URI:
> <https://w3c.github.io/opentrack/eventcode/110H36>
>
> the description of this discipline would be (complete description with
> simplified notation):
> {
>   "type" : "Hurdles",
>   "name": "110m Hurdles Men",
>   "venueType" : "Outdoors",
>   "lenght" : "100",
>   "height" : "1.067",
>   "spacing" : "9.14" <- units must be described properly
> }
>
> We don't need to have an exhaustive DB at the beginning (just name and
> taxonomy would be enough) but just the mechanism to be able to do it in the
> future.

Mirko also has a database table of about 100 different variants of
events which lists the examples "found in the wild" so far.  It would
be a great start.  What would be useful is notes on who uses that
variation.  e.g. ("This spacing was used by Estonian U20 men from 19xx
to 20yy")

- Andy