Re: Popolo draft comments

Realize I've been remiss in introducing myself to the group here.  I'm a
developer at Sunlight Foundation and the lead of our Open States project as
well as our new municipal data work.  We're planning to use popolo for our
municipal data and probably push Open States data out in this format in the
future as well.  We've begun an implementation of various pieces in our
latest work (very much a work in progress still-
https://github.com/opencivicdata)

In our implementation we've run into questions (and hopefully practical
answers to) many of Robert's questions, I figured it'd be helpful to share:

> * Some concept of Political Party is probably important

We're definitely adding party as a top level attribute, as well as having a
membership.  We are using memberships to show cases of party changes and
when a person is a member of the Green as well as Democratic party, but we
reserve party for their 'primary' party, the one a user would expect to be
displayed next to them.  This is probably outside the scope of popolo, but
is a practical concern and easily enough added.

 > * The current spec seems to be missing some information about the
provenance of the data - something like "last update date/time" and "last
update user" is probably the bare minimum, but a node that would provide a
place for reference citations and source information would be important

I'll defer to James M. on if it makes sense for the spec Popolo, but we're
also definitely adding this in our Python implementation.  We're using
updated_at/created_at as well as a sources dict that is a list of urls and
notes, similar to links, but we want to keep them distinct for a number of
reasons.

> * Is there a way to indicate upper/lower house

We're using one organization, and a trait on the role to describe whether
or not it is lower or upper, because for most every purpose the two
chambers are really just pieces of a larger organization (since legislation
passes between them/etc. there isn't a logical distinction between the two)

> * Is there a way to record the geographic hierarchy of a legislative
body?  For example, city government is located within a state government,
which is located within a national system.
> * There is a lot of other structured information that could potentially
be captured about legislative bodies..  For example, the number of seats,
the electoral system (constituencies vs. proportional representation),
number of years between elections, election rules, inauguration rules, etc.

We're dealing with both of these, and I don't want to hijack this
conversation, but we're finding that a top level 'jurisdiction' type
(distinct from an organization) is really useful for these sorts of
attributes.  (We also create a popolo-compliant organization and link them
together, but the jurisdiction type in our system seems like the logical
place to try to represent things like the number of seats/etc.)

All in all, our use of Popolo has been pleasant and a real improvement over
how we were doing things, we're looking forward to continuing to use it and
help work through these practical considerations.